Artikel: Thornæs Destilleri - facts and figures
Thornæs Destilleri - facts and figures
Latest update June 21 - 2023
Address: Kagerup Byvej 20B, 3200 Helsinge, Denmark
Please contact the distillery to acquire material
History and organisation: Thornæs Distillery was founded by Torben Thornæs Andersen in 2018. By the end of 2019 the company went into operation after restoring an old horse stabel that would house the distillery. The distillery is located at the agricultural farm of Falkendal, in the small hamlet of Kagerup - a 40 minutes’ drive north of central Copenhagen.
From the start great effort has been put into producing grain spirit for maturing whisky. The aim is to become a producer of organic Single Estate Whisky, which means having all grain delivered from the very farm where the distillery is located.
Thornæs Distillery plans to release its first Single Malt Whisky in August 2023.
In 2020 the distillery also introduced its own gin brand, Mad Owl Gin, and shortly after a series of schnapps called Falkendal Snaps.
- In 2021 Mad Owl Gin – Citrus was elected Gin of the Month in Craft Gin Club, the biggest gin club in Great Britain. The gin was elected best tasting gin in 2021 by the members.
- In 2021 Mad Owl Gin – Herbal scored 93 points – the second highest point scorer of any Danish gin that year at the International Wine & Spirits Competition
- In 2023 Mad Owl Gin - London Dry was elected Best Danish London Dry Gin at the World Drinks Awards.
- In 2023 Mad Owl Gin – Citrus was elected Best Danish Classic Gin at the World Drinks Awards.
- In 2023 Year Zero – the distillery’s unaged Grain Spirit was awarded Gold at the World Drinks Awards.